Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How to... Run an Effective Rehearsal

Well hello!

Thanks for looking at this issue's How To... section. We're dealing with a topic important to all musicians - running effective rehearsals. It's a topic I find can make or break a band. And it's one many people (including me) seem resistant to address proactively. Why? Well, in my case, I don't want the rest of the band to see me as trying to dominate and control the band. But I still want an effective rehearsal. The fact is, someone does need to manage the band. To control the rehearsal. And everyone needs to prepare.

Anyway, I asked some seasoned musicians to tell us what it takes to run a great rehearsal. Here are their answers.


Doug "Uncle Buck" Lloyd, sax, juggling 3 bands


What do I think it takes to run an effective rehearsal? Hummmm......

* common well understood objectives/goals
* advance preparation
* start (and finish) on time

Let me elaborate.

Goals include lots of things, like type of band (dance band/stage band/etc), type of music, style, image - those are some of the more 'strategic' goals. Goals for one rehearsal might include creating a song or two, polishing some songs, introducing a new song or two. Make sure you all agree on why you are rehearsing - each individual has his/her own reasons, of course, but the band as a whole might be preparing for a gig, preparing for a recording session, or just building on the old portfolio, or creating new original tunes. It's good to let this overriding purpose drive the rehearsal - sort of keeps things on track.
SOMEONE needs to set an agenda several days in advance

Preparation - easy one here! But seldom done, in my experience. SOMEONE needs to set an agenda several days in advance - could just be a songlist. The whole band should be informed several days before the rehearsal what will be done at the rehearsal. Each individual should use that information to prepare for the rehearsal - have their part ready! In advance. Right. Other parts of preparation include securing a place, establishing a start and stop time, making sure everyone is informed and committed, etc.

Start time - It's really hard to rehearse when everyone is not there. Being late is inexcusable. Sorry, it just is. Musos aren't known for punctuality usually, but they should be. On time for rehearsal, on time for gigs. Be there early. The start time means start PLAYING, not start setting up! Tuned and ready to go. No shit.
Musos aren't known for punctuality usually, but they should be.

Well, there are some thoughts.

As far as a personal experience, the worst I can remember is simply getting there, setting up, and then waiting, waiting, waiting, and finally getting cancelled because someone (or two) didn't show and the sob didn't even call!

The best? The first rehearsal has been a great rehearsal for me many times. It's new, it's discovery, it's exciting. Nothing specific to point to, but I can remember several groups I've been in and the very first time we got together, and it was great! It continued to be great, too, but there's nothing quite like the first time. In music, too.

Hope this helps....

Mike Kent, guitarist, 1 band

It is a great question, and I have a few thoughts. Here goes....

A productive rehearsal relies on a few key fundamental principles.

Covers

Are you playing in a cover band? There is nothing wrong with that!!!! If so, find copies of the songs you are going to play, and learn your part as well as you can. This is very important! It's all very well to play covers by simply knowing the chords, but remember, the songs you are playing are well known for the way the arrangements and the parts fit together. Never try to learn more than 4 or 5 songs in a single 4 hour rehearsal block! Remember, you're paying real money, so knowing your bit will make the rehearsal go more smoothly. Oh, and don't do what I do, which is between every song, play little bits and pieces of other famous songs. This is bound to piss off other band members.

Don't do what I do, which is between every song, play little bits and pieces of other famous songs. This is bound to piss off other band members.

Original songs

Are you doing what we all aspire to, which is play in an original band? Then work with the songwriter/songwriters in the band.

Step 1 is to never go near a rehearsal room - where you're paying for the priviledge, until you have sat for endless hours in somebody's bedroom going over the arrangements, the chords, the lyrics etc with a few acoustic guitars. Again, never aim to nail more than a few songs at each paid for rehearsal.

The difference in an original band, is to ego manage. Usually, an original band has only 1 or 2 writers. Try to massage their creativity, understanding that their songs are usually the reason you're playing with them in the first place. Try to put your own playing aside, and service the particular song you are working on with taste. Think about it this way: what if Ringo wanted to play drum solos all the way through Hey Jude? Wouldn't really work would it?
You have to learn what may be the hardest musical lesson of all... TO LISTEN TO EACH OTHER!!

Hopefully, as in a covers band, some of the parts you will play will become apparent in the lounge room. This is not always the case in a louder rehearsal room situation. Once you are playing these songs LOUD, what worked at home may not work in the live situation. Then, you have to learn what may be the hardest musical lesson of all. Forget scales, forget chord shapes, forget image and a recording contract. YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO LISTEN TO EACH OTHER!! In fact, I think this is the singular most important piece of advice for rehearsing in any situation, originals or covers aside, and I'm very sorry for shouting it, but I believe it to be so.

By way of explanation, I can only offer my own experience. I am an older fella (44), who plays in a cover band for fun. In my younger days, I played in numerous original bands, but now have a real job, and just enjoy the experience of gigging with this band without the angst of having to write the material. There are 8 of us in the band - 3 singers, drummer, bass player, keyboard player and 2 of us cursed guitar players. I had never played with another guitarist before, let alone 3 singers and a keyboard player.

My first rehearsal, I did what I said in the section under covers bands. I learnt my parts as well as I could (some 35 or so songs) and went along. Because I wasn't used to the huge personnel, I promptly overplayed. And because I'm a little bit thick, it took me a few gigs to remember the other cardinal rule I outlined in this story: I began to listen to the other players in the band, not just myself!!!! As a result, I began scaling back what I was playing, because otherwise it was getting damn messy. Suddenly, the band began to sound cleaner and nicer, and the other lovely players and singers in the band were allowed room to shine (as they do, cos they're fine players - but that's another story).
It's all about the song - not about your ability to solo or preen.

So I guess kids, what I'm trying to say is (and I know it sounds as squeaky clean as an episode of The Waltons), regardless of you situation (covers or originals), the key to successfully rehearsing is to be as thoroughly prepared as you can and support the music you are playing as well as you can. It's all about the song - not about your ability to solo or preen.

Greg Dodge, Manager of The Australian Academy of Music in Brisbane

Greg runs jam sessions for large groups on a regular basis and has lots of experience getting people involved for a fun jam. Here he gives us his advice for setting up a jam and for running a rehearsal - obviously 2 completely different things.

Jam session

If more than thirty people in the room it works (60 or 100 great!!). A white board broken up into four squares. First person writes in first square what songs they want to play (suggest two). Others add what instruments they will play or sing. Next square is filled in same with two new songs. This means when the band gets up it is rubbed out and new songs are written up and on it goes. Everyone gets a go and no one ends up 'hogging the Jam".... For a jam this big, all gear should be provided by the Jam organisers (we run these in Brisbane).

Rehearsals

Be organised before each get there. Know the songs - or have a plan to what you may jam before walking in. Lyrics - chord changes etc etc. Also works best with a Music Coach. Someone who challenges the "whole sound" of the band. To get the best out of the band....

No comments:

Post a Comment