Wednesday, August 18, 2010

11 Minutes With... Rosie Oates!

This month, to show you how EASY it is to GET OUT THERE!, The Metro Gnome found Rosie Oates.

Born: 1973 (Sydney)

Lives: Sydenham

Married: July 2004 to a great musican that writes and performs his own stuff (Wayne Tritton)

Children: Not yet, too busy playing music!

Paid Job: Speech Pathologist

Instruments: Ukelele and Acoustic Bass

Music Lessons: From the inspiring "Mr Ben Little"

Musical background: I've LOVED singing since I was little, had piano lessons 'til I was 8, sang throughout high school, completed an Associate Diploma in Expressive and Creative Arts (Majoring in Drama), sung in multitudes of kareoke bars and years later have finally decided to accompany myself by learning the Ukelele! I've been learning for 2.5 years and have also just started learning acoustic bass.

Music today: I love a huge range of music, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Folk, Country, Pop: 60's > now, but I'm definitely drawn to female vocals.

Guitars I have owned/played: None! I love my Four Strings! My gorgeous bass is an Acoustic Fender.

From the Heart - How you GET OUT THERE!:

I was offered the most fantastic opportunity to come along and join in with an afternoon "session" at the Welcome Hotel (Evans St, Rozelle) on Saturdays 4-7pm. I live for it, it's the highlight of my week! I love learning new songs to throw into the mix for others to jam and vocally harmonise with!

NB: If you've ever wanted to learn an instrument and held back thinking you'd be kidding yourself or that you'd be crap - just do it, you wouldn't expect a little kid, just starting out to be great at it immediately, would you? You'd encourage them to keep practicing - do that for yourself! You'll love it, it's really fun!

So... how do you GET OUT THERE!? Tell The Metro Gnome so that we can inspire other people to GET OUT THERE! too.

No comments:

Post a Comment