Wednesday, August 18, 2010

11 Minutes With.... Cyndy Fahnestock

Welcome to our new, regular column in The Metro Gnome. 11 Minutes with.... is an introduction to a busy, non-professional musician who, nevertheless, finds a way to makes music a part of his or her life.

In this case it's Cyndy Fahnestock from Nashville, Tennessee. Cyndy makes the time to GET OUT THERE! even when she is busy with work and family. The intention of this column is to broaden your musical knowledge and to inspire you to GET OUT THERE!, too.

11 Minutes with... Cyndy Fahnestock

* Born: In the 1950s
* Lives: Nashville, Tennessee
* Married: For ~30 years
* Children: 2 adult daughters
* Paid Job: Full time auto tuner
* Instruments: Voice, piano, and guitar
* Music Lessons: Occasionally - a few times a year

Musical background:

1. Started piano and singing in church groups at 6
2. Did the clarinet in junior high (hated it)
3. Picked up guitar in high school (I wanted to be Judy Collins... multi-talented singer, performer)
4. I also started voice training in high school and did solos at church and school
5. Majored in Music at Mary Washington College (now University)
6. Continued guitar and voice instruction throughout adult life
7. Played bass and rhythm in Contemporary Christian group in Fairfax, VA

Music today:

Still am singing today and occasionally playing fingerstyle guitar accompaniments at church. However, I had to take a 3 year hiatus due to carpal tunnel treatments and eventual surgery for that along with a rotator cuff repair all on the right arm. (Remember to do those stretching exercises!)
Guitars I have had:

My first was a classical, but I don't remember the brand... ancient history.
I have owned:

* Martin New York Special - a classical
* Jumbo Martin - Rosewood D40

My main axe(s) now:

* Takemine Classical
* Martin D18
* Sifel - totally handmade (even the binding!) by Larry Sifel in Southern Maryland

From the Heart:

I must say I am not an accomplished guitarist (I wish I were - I'm more of a dabbler), but I love the instrument and its versatility. So many genres! Because I am a vocalist also, what I love most about the guitar is how it can support and enhance a singer weaving texture into a song. It adds punctuation to the composition and complements the lyrics in the hands of a true song-smith. I especially like Nanci Griffith; my favorite album being Other Rooms, Other Voice and James Taylor. Of course, Eric Clapton is at the top, too. I just can't hear fast enough to appreciate really full jazz and heavy blues, though I do like a little Stevie Ray Vaughan. (~Gnome: And who doesn't?)

I've met some interesting guitarists clubbing. In Maryland, I met Al Petteway; he plays a Sifel. In the late 80's he had a group called Grazzmataz ... kind of bluegrass fusion. He played along with Pete Kennedy (guitar on Nanci Griffith's album I mentioned) and John Jennings, (bass for Mary Chapin Carpenter). Also, at Washington Music Center, we have a guitar contact, Paul Schine. We can call him and say, "Hey, Paul, I need..." and he goes down in the basement and pulls guitars out, knowing exactly the voicing we're looking for then ships it. He is spot on! (I say "we" because my husband also plays guitar.)

Living on the outskirts of Nashville, I get to hear wonderful musicians in all genres. Here it seems that a third of the population has a music connection: production, promotion, publishing, driving the bus). I've heard everyone from Willie and Waylon to Luther, an Asian American who plays a mean Stevie Ray, and classical artists from the Blair School of Music. A fellow I took lessons from, Gary Lowery, transposed Handel's Messiah for classical guitar. Lovely!

One of our friends, Chuck Hulse, and his wife moved here about 12 years ago from Utah. He plays guitar, but one of his gigs was playing banjo for Ray Stevens. He just restrung it like a guitar! Chuck plays lead at the church where I sing. We rock. No one snoozes through the service. Nashville, besides home to Country Music also had a very large contemporary Christian base. Writers/singers like, Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman, Larry Carlton, Michael W. Smith, and gospel, too... CeCe Winans, even Sheryl Crow has a home here but I haven't seen her at the Kroger. I wish I could say I practice daily, but I don't even practice weekly. I do sing weekly and I get as easily inspired as I get sidelined by the busyness of life. I'll hit a dry spell, and then go take a few more lessons to get back into the habit. So little time, so much music!

Gnome Links:

* Unfortunately, Larry Sifel doesn't have a website (come on, Larry, you know you want one). But he does have a lot of fans out there. Here's how to get in touch with him:

Pearl Works, Ltd.
Larry Sifel
1030 Woodburn Hill Road
Mechanicsville, MD 20659
Phone: ++1 301 884 2625
Fax: ++1 301 884 2627
Mother-of-pearl, abalone

* An insightful interview with Al Petteway is here:
o http://www.minor7th.com/Petteway_interview.html
* There is a lot on the web about Stevie Ray Vaughan. This page has the most interesting stuff and the fewest broken links. Enjoy!
o http://www.awpi.com/SRV/
* The official Nanci Griffith site looked more like a shop front - this one gives you better information. Hint: Always look at the unofficial sites - they're often really good!
o http://www.nanci-griffith.com/main.html

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post-

    I too have a d-18, (bet ya didn't know that!)

    Say Hi to Shawna and her husband.

    Jim Wood

    ReplyDelete